Friday, June 28, 2013

Googled

Like many others (Danger Theatre and Cyndi Wilde have posted about it) I got a TOS warning from Blogger about adverts to adult sites. Well, not a problem for me per se but a quite sh*tty thing to do to those two fine women, as well as others I might not be aware of. I don't post my musings here as a cheaper alternative to therapy. I do intend, ideally, to communicate and also to read what others have to say on DiD topics. If Blogger makes life intolerable for them, they'll do it to me, too. I am thinking of Tumblr, folks. Yeah, yeah, I know, but still....

2 comments:

  1. Dear Fiend,

    I suppose I'm too old to be 'Hip' anymore, so I just don't quite 'get' what the hub-bub is about. I know that on my own (sadly) moribund blog, I have absolutely no say as to who or what 'advertises' on the page. Do they mean any links or mentions that I would place (theoretically) in the body of the posts?

    I, too, am a subscriber to both DT and COADiD. I would hate to see either of them harassed out of here. But, I'm unsure of what the 'Big G' is so upset about.

    As I recall, when I opened my own blog years ago, I was asked if it were deemed, "Mature content". So that the reader could self-censor, if he/she chose to do so.

    I suppose I'm asking three questions:

    1) WTF?

    2) What is it, exactly, that they consider advertising -- and what do they consider 'Adult'? (I have much the same problem over at Yahoo, regarding some other accounts I have over there. I never, ever get a clear answer from them, so I don't know that I expect one from "The Big G", either.)

    3) Why are their own filters no longer 'good enough' to avoid whatever they think of as a problem?

    I know you don't know the answer to many of the questions, but whatever you know that I don't would be enlightening.

    Thanks.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear TRU, I think this is another one of those legal CYA things -- maybe some group that is influential uses its consumer power to block things it deems "offensive." I am pretty sure Google itself couldn't give a rat's ass, hence the vague and almost perfunctory way this was delivered.

      Delete